PROMOTEDPOSTED 154 DAYS AGO
oin the Search and Data Services team at Help Scout! Your work on this team will power critical search capabilities that our customers depend on every day. You’d manage large, frequently changing data-sets with thousands of transactions per second!
Our ideal candidate takes pride in building coherent and usable interfaces, choosing the right tools for the job and creating elegant, scalable solutions. Your work as an experienced JVM Engineer will empower over 12,000 businesses around the world to provide excellent customer service and will support the other senior engineers on your team.
We leverage Ignite, Solr and Lucene for several tools at Help Scout, but knowledge or even expertise in these tools is not required. It is a nice bonus, though.
- The engineering team is made up of 50 people spread across several small, cross-functional teams. These teams contain all the back-end and front-end talent to deliver exciting new capabilities.
- On a daily basis, you'll work on new functionality, and be involved in the decisions made regarding implementation, testing, and backlog prioritization. You will collaborate with the rest of the engineering team through code reviews and participate in making architectural decisions.
- Our APIs serve tens of millions of requests per day.
- We work using an iterative software approach, communicate mostly via Slack and are committed to remote, agile development.
- You’ll work autonomously for the most part and we trust you to get work done when/where you can be productive.
- Your team performs engineering support when a question can’t be answered by our in-house support team and passes triage. We’ll get you up-to-speed with engineering support so you can help our customers and improve the product along the way.
- Everything is secondary to the customer experience. We expect you to have a keen sense of how your code will impact the experience in terms of performance, security and usability.
- You'll be working with product people that challenge you to get better every day. The founders are technical and committed to creating a magical experience for customers. You'll deploy work that moves the needle for businesses around the world.
- You will periodically partner with our Talent team to help us hire our future team members.
- In order to ensure enough team overlap, you're located anywhere between Mountain Time and Central European Time zones.
- Salary: We have an internal transparent salary matrix for each team. Read more about how we approach compensation here! For this role, we have $129,000 to 149,000 USD slated in the budget.
Competitive salary - Our salary formula is public to all employees (but doesn't divulge your specific salary) and we update it at least once per year. Your salary is the same no matter where you live. Our goal is to pay at or above the market rate of a US-based tech hub like Boston or Seattle.
Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you're based outside the US, we'll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.
Long-term/short-term disability insurance & life insurance - we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST disability insurance and base life insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider (currently US only).
Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it! We recommend 3-4 weeks in addition to public holidays, but there are no firm rules. We trust you.
Sabbatical - After you've been at Help Scout for 4 years, you get a month of paid vacation (in addition to regular vacation) and $2,500 to spend towards travel, learning, projects or anything else during your time off. Read about what our CEO did.
Paid parental leave, including adoption - 12 weeks of paid leave for all new parents.
401k with 1% match- via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
Personal Development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
Bonuses - everyone is eligible to receive a quarterly bonus up to 8% based on shared company revenue goals.
Set you up for success — we’ll get every new teammate a Mac laptop or equivalent of their choice, and provide a $1500 stipend so you can feel ready to work from home. We also cover up to $350 USD per month if you'd like to rent a co-working desk somewhere.
Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
- You became an engineer because you like writing software that helps people. Your code is not only a pleasure for customers to use, but for other engineers to read and understand easily.
- You are a great communicator and have an excellent command of written and spoken English. As a remote company, we rely on clear communication for collaboration and execution.
- You are a skilled and passionate engineer who is friendly, collaborative, and supportive.
- You take ownership of your creation seriously and actively participate in each step of the development lifecycle.
- You understand the need to balance business and customer needs with agile delivery of tightly scoped, scalable code that stands the test of time.
- You bring a level of Java-specific expertise that will help us craft an outstanding experience for customers and fellow developers. You enjoy working with the JVM and will be comfortable using or learning Kotlin.
- You are no stranger to build and deployment automation.
- Your typical production readiness checklist covers things like redundancy, resiliency, monitoring, alerting and logging.
- You value giving and receiving feedback just as much as we do. You see it as an opportunity for personal and career growth.
- You consider how your work impacts others and demonstrate thoughtful, flexible approaches to mentoring and guiding technical decisions.
- In order to ensure enough team overlap, you are located anywhere between Mountain Time and Central European Time zones.
Skills + Tech
POSTED 154 DAYS AGO
USD$ 10.000,01 - USD$13.000,00