Root Insurance Company
React Staff Software Engineer
The engineering team at Root strives to be one of the most transformative engineering teams ever. Weâre changing the way an industry works by leveraging technology and data to build the best products possible. Even with our significant growth, we operate in small teams that are given ownership over projects and results. Weâve found that the people closest to the problems are the best at solving them. We're actively hiring Engineers for our Columbus, OH or Chicago, IL offices, as well as those who prefer to work remotely! Remote employees must be located in the United States are expected to work either Eastern or Central timezone hours.
Our tech stack includes:
Ruby / Rails backend, RSpec for testing
Small amounts of native iOS and Android
Deployment to AWS ECS using containers
Buildkite for CI
Weâre scaling rapidly, and we recently launched a $6B IPO:
Our team excels at delivering software to solve the problems in front of us at Root: presently, a suite of world-class mobile, web, and server-based products obsessed with the customer experience. Weâve shaped our team and process around this; we know that constant iteration and experimentation produce the best results.
For more information on engineering at Root see root.engineering
Staff Engineers at Root are our most trusted technical experts. They work across multiple teams of engineers to set and coordinate technical direction. Staff Engineers facilitate the delivery of large projects and features by helping design solutions, pair programming with other engineers, contributing to code review and by writing code themselves. They help strengthen the technical prowess of the entire engineering organization by mentoring and growing the engineers around them. We're searching for exceptional, React-focused software engineers to leverage their expertise on the front-end to fulfill the responsibilities of this role.
We divide the areas of responsibility for engineers into three major areas:
- Technical: The skills and knowledge that make up an engineerâs basic problem-solving toolbox.
- Planning and Execution: The ability to plan and execute assigned work beyond basic technical solutions.
- Working with Others: The ability to work effectively with other engineers and people in other functions.
What we look for in React Staff Software Engineers:
- Ability to architect complex, performant, and scalable mobile and single page web applications
- Expert-level knowledge of web and mobile technologies including ReactJS and React Native
- Understanding of test strategies, best practices, and tools used in front-end frameworks
- Experience with functional, procedural, and object-oriented programming techniques
- Deep understanding of front-end build pipelines, version control tools, and upgrade strategies used with large groups of developers
Planning and Execution
- Plans and completes large and complex multi-person or multi-team projects
- Foresees issues and requirements for large projects and features
- Thinks critically about work to guarantee business functionality. Internalizes business goals in their technical decision making.
- Can break down large initiatives into incrementally implementable deliverables and coordinate them across multiple engineers and teams
Working with Others
- Provides effective and accurate technical feedback in code reviews
- Able to work across teams to tackle complex issues
- Mentors and grows the engineers around them
- Works with product owners, analysts and other functions to move companyâs priorities forward
Job from RemoteOk.io