Senior Elixir React Native Engineer
What weâre doing
80% of the global workforce doesnât sit behind a desk - think retail assistants, waiters, bartenders, care assistants, nurses and so on. But up until now only 1% of funding has gone into building tools for them.
As a desk based worker itâs hard to imagine working without tools like Slack, Trello and Gmail, but for much of the deskless workforce, thatâs the current state of play.
The only way to find out what shifts youâre working is to look at a print out taped to the break room wall. Changes to shifts are scribbled on the printout, photographed then sent to WhatsApp groups. Managers spend hours calling and texting trying and often not succeeding to fill overtime shifts. Payslips are sent in the post or accessed via web 1.0 portals and holiday is requested either in-person or through clunky legacy kiosks. And thatâs just the tip of the iceberg.
The result is a dissatisfied workforce, soaring rates of attrition and tens of billions wasted in lost productivity, re-hiring and unnecessary agency spend.
This same workforce is accustomed to the very best in user experience, WhatsApp for messaging, Monzo for banking and AirBnB for holidays.
So where is the work app?
Thatâs what weâre building at Sona. The single app that will deliver a best in class user experience for deskless workers to manage their entire work life.
Weâre still early on in our journey so anyone getting involved has scope to have a huge impact.
Weâve raised a $2.2m pre-seed round from some amazing investors including SpeedInvest and Notion Capital. We have a highly experienced founding team and amazing sales, marketing and customer success people as well as some exceptional engineering and product design talent.
About the role
Youâll be working as part of a fully remote, close knit product team. We use Github + ZenHub for code hosting and project management and operate an extremely lightweight sprint based process.
We like engineers to be heavily involved throughout the product development process, not just in building.
Our stack has two main components:
- A backend with a GraphQL API and web frontend built using Elixir and Phoenix Live View
- A native mobile application built in React Native + Typescript
We think in terms of âT Shapedâ developers. This means that while all of us have some ability across the âfull stackâ, most of us have one side of the stack (e.g. Elixir or React Native) weâre stronger on and spend the bulk of our time on.
Typically when somebody starts working with us, they have strong experience with one side of the stack and then learn the other part on the job.
We love engineers who have a non nonsense approach to âgetting it shippedâ, who when given the choice between âcomplicated and shinyâ vs âget something simple in front of a userâ will always choose the latter.
Everybodyâs different, but a lot of the following probably applies to you:
- You have extensive professional experience in Elixir or React Native (you don't need both!!)
- If your experience is in Elixir, youâre happy to talk about OTP, Erlang, Beam and how these relate to each other. Youâve built things using LiveView and are comfortable talking about itâs advantages and challenges.
- If your experience is in React Native youâre happy to talk about Typescript, the role of generics and when they should be used, what hooks are, how they changed how we build React Native apps and when one should consider writing custom hooks. Youâd be equally happy explaining promises and how they interact with async / await
- You have a strong preference for over-communication, and take ownership of ensuring you fully understand what youâre working on
- Youâre in a country which is GMT +/- 3 and fluent communicating both verbally and in writing in English
How We Work
Weâre a fully remote team spread across 4 countries (and growing). We have a company stand up most mornings at 10:00 UK time. We aim to have fully paid for company meetups roughly once per quarter.
Everything starts with talking to customers. We like everyone in the company to regularly join either sales calls with new prospects or catch ups with existing customers
Weâre a small company with a strong preference for lightweight, asynchronous processes. Within product we work in sprints with periodic retrospectives.
Our interview process follows this pattern:
- Initial phone screen (15-30 minutes) focused primarily on approach to work, career goals and your questions about Sona
- Paid Technical Task (0.5 days, pays GBP200)
- Technical Task Review (1 hour, much more interested with âwhy did you do what you didâ than âdid you finish xâ)
- Founder Interview (1 hour), focused on why youâre interested in Sona and your questions about the vision
- Competitive salary
- Employee share option scheme
- New M1 Macbook + equipment grant for home office
- Co-working stipend
- 4.5 day standard working week (take your half day out when it suits you)
- Unlimited free books
Job from RemoteOk.io