Help Scout is made by roughly 110 people in 80+ cities around the world, all with a passion for helping others. We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences. Help Scout launched in 2011 and today we have more than 12,000 paying customers in 140+ countries
- The engineering team is made up of 50 people spread across several small, cross-functional teams. These teams contain all the back-end and front-end talent to deliver exciting new capabilities.
- On a daily basis, you'll work on new functionality, and be involved in the decisions made regarding implementation, testing, and backlog prioritization. You will collaborate with the rest of the engineering team through code reviews and participate in making architectural decisions.
- Our APIs serve tens of millions of requests per day.
- We work using an iterative software approach, communicate mostly via Slack and are committed to remote, agile development.
- You’ll work autonomously for the most part and we trust you to get work done when/where you can be productive.
- Your team performs engineering support when a question can’t be answered by our in-house support team and passes triage. We’ll get you up-to-speed with engineering support so you can help our customers and improve the product along the way.
- Everything is secondary to the customer experience. We expect you to have a keen sense of how your code will impact the experience in terms of performance, security and usability.
- You'll be working with product people that challenge you to get better every day. The founders are technical and committed to creating a magical experience for customers. You'll deploy work that moves the needle for businesses around the world.
- You will periodically partner with our Talent team to help us hire our future team members.
- In order to ensure enough team overlap, you're located anywhere between Mountain Time and Central European Time zones.
- Salary: We have an internal transparent salary matrix for each team. Read more about how we approach compensation here! For this role, we have $129,000 to 149,000 USD slated in the budget.
- You became an engineer because you like writing software that helps people.
- You bring a level of Java-specific expertise that will help us deliver an outstanding experience for customers and fellow developers.
- You have experience collaborating with other engineers, product, and design folks to craft relevant, customer-focused solutions, that serve high volumes of traffic.
- You are excited about the JVM ecosystem.
- You are a skilled, passionate, and humble engineer who is friendly, collaborative, and supportive. You want to be challenged by the work and not the workload. You are willing to ask for help when necessary and unafraid to say,“I don’t know.” At the same time, you have the confidence to take on complex and challenging problems.
- You value personal growth and constructive feedback. Believing that“a rising tide lifts all ships,” you make everyone around you better sharing what you have learned and looking for ways to improve both yourself and the team.
- You demonstrate an empathetic, organized and collaborative communication style with fellow engineers and non-engineering stakeholders. Clear communication is super important in a remote culture like ours.
- You will consider how your work impacts others, and demonstrate thoughtful, flexible approaches to mentoring and guiding technical decisions.
- Your code is not only a pleasure for customers to use, but for other engineers to read and understand easily. When working in the codebase, you leave things better than you found them.
- You believe remote teams are the future of work, or are at least excited about the idea. You have experience working with remote teams or can adjust your work/management style to be remote-friendly.