Software Development Manager
Software Development Manager â Backend, Mobile, or Front End Development (Remote, Americas)
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
Shopify is the leading cloud-based, multi-channel commerce platform. Merchants can use the software to design, set up, and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including web, mobile, social media, marketplaces, and brick-and-mortar locations. The platform also provides merchants with a powerful back-office and a single view of their business. Shopify was engineered for reliability and scale, making enterprise-level technology available to businesses of all sizes. Shopify powers over 1,000,000 businesses in over 175 countries â and hereâs how weâve been helping more merchants survive, thrive, and navigate the impacts of COVID-19.
Shopify is on a fast-moving mission to make the best products for merchants, buyers, and partners around the globe. Here are just some of the stories from the engineering teams who build and scale Shopify.
Intrigued? Thatâs great! Weâre recruiting Software Development Managers to lead teams in any one of these disciplines. Based on your experience and interests, let us know which one you identify with most in your application!â¨â¨
Back End Development
At Shopify, Back End Developers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code work on teams that ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. Weâre talking over 1 million online stores, and hundreds of millions of requests a day. Thousands of entrepreneurs will see your work within seconds â a difficult but incredibly rewarding responsibility. Shopify is the largest Ruby on Rails application in the world and we're a big part of the Rails community. Weâre constantly improving our codebase to make it even better.
Mobile Development (React Native, Android & iOS)
Our Mobile Developers work along with designers and product managers to build and launch new features for our apps. Youâll work on large-scale apps that are ever-changing, enabling entrepreneurship for hundreds of thousands of entrepreneurs. Our Android developers use Kotlin and our iOS developers use Swift. Our teams are increasingly working with React Native so openness to cross-platform mobile development is a plus!
Front End Development
Youâll be working on things like:
- Managing teams and helping them prioritize, build and ship the most impactful features to our merchants and community of developers.
- As a member of the product area leadership, build a composite roadmap that reflects the priorities in the different areas and continuously rebalance the teams to react to changes in the surrounding conditions.
- Work on problems with your teams, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items.
- Work with product, UX and other disciplines to discover the best solutions for our merchants.
- Grow a team, both through internal development and external hiring.
Qualifications Qualities you likely have to be well suited to this role:
- Proven team leadership skills. Your management skills and technical depth allows you to develop and mentor others as well as build credibility with your team while executing broader engineering strategies.
- Proven software development background in one of the disciplines listed above: Backend, Mobile, UX, or Web Development. You feel comfortable diving into the code and interacting with developers at all levels of seniority.
- Familiarity with distributed and highly available systems at scale.
- Experience designing and developing APIs.
- You are comfortable working with senior stakeholders (Director level and up), both technical and non technical.
- You have successfully built and grown teams of engineers during your career.
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results.
Here's how to apply:
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Jane is an actual real live person (ðð») and is looking forward to learning more about you through your application. And remember, we want to know what you're really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd like in the answers on the next page. ð ð
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Job from RemoteOk.io